Friday, July 4, 2008

Life in a song.

From American Idol 2008, David Cook's single, TIME OF MY LIFE.


I’ve been waiting for my dreams
To turn into something
I could believe in
And looking for that
Magic rainbow
On the horizon
I couldn’t see it
Until I let go
Gave into love and watched all the bitterness burn
Now I’m coming alive
Body and soul
And feelin’ my world start to turn


I've been in school for almost 13 years. I can vividly remember my teacher's question during Elementary as to how do we see ourselves after ten years. I would often answer that I see myself as a lawyer, a doctor or a broadcaster.

I entered college in 2006 and none of my ambitions actually happened, not even close, not even a bit.

I got frustrated during the rocky first year in college, thinking that I should have been at saint Louis University with my ditse, taking up what I really wanted, AB Communication Arts.


For two years, I've been filled with too many "what if's" in my mind. What if I just studied and reviewed EVERYTHING about high school so that I could have gone to my dream schools University of the Philippines and University of Santo Tomas.


For two years, I've been searching for answers to what I really wanted. I even thought of transferring to Wesleyan University- Philippines and take up Nursing so that I could also give my family a comfortable life later.

But then again, these frustrations actually led to something better. I've learned that not all things in life can be given by money, that not being able to be in a prestigious school does not make me lesser of a person. I've learned that everything has its own reasons.


And I’ll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time
To be more than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life


I entered College of Education not knowing anyone from the higher years or the faculty.

I was filled with fear during the first weeks of the class and was devastated when our PE teacher actually scolded me in front of everyone because we missed his class because of the orientation program. I cried hard the whole day because that was my first time to lead a class, and that was one hell of a traumatic experience for me!

Nevertheless, I managed to get up and gain my classmates' trust back. I was elected to hold positions in the sophomore class and in our department.

That year, I also tried my luck in writing for the college paper. I was surprised when I found out that I passed the exams and I am officially a part of the Editorial Board. But that time, I was so stressed out with the "toxic" life of a sophomore EEd student and I really find it difficult to balance my life as a student and as a part of the publication.


Holding onto things that vanished
Into the air
Left me in pieces
But now I’m rising from the ashes
Finding my wings
And all that I needed
Was there all along
Within my reach
As close as the beat of my heart


So I’ll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time to be
More than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life


Second Semester.
I managed to survive the toxicity of the College of Education and was ready to conquer another grueling semester.

My first time to join an essay writing contest took place during the Education Week celebration.

I fought but I was defeated.

I was the 1st runner-up and another co-writer won.
I suddenly remembered one quotation from Tiger Woods in a Reader's Digest issue that says, and I quote:
"Being the first runner-up just means the first loser."

Well, I guess it worked for me because during the college level Literary Musical contest, I was selected to represent the college for the University contest.

But then again, being the inexperienced and uhmm, quite negative writer that I am about the issue
"The Role of Filipino Migrant Workers as Citizens of the World", I lost.

And again, I remembered Tiger Woods- I am a first loser again. xD

And I’m out on the edge of forever
Ready to run
I’m keeping my feet on the ground
My arms open wide
My face to the sun

I’ll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time to be
More than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life
More than a name
Or a face in the crowd
This is the time
This is the time of my life.
This is the time of my life.



I survived the challenging sophomore year.

Another year started, and I am not a regular student.

I have tons of behind subjects.

I am not the good student.

But I am glad that there are people who made me realized that I am more than what I thought I was, that I could actually do things on my own, take every step and stand on my own feet and to do what I wanted to do and seize everything until there is something worth doing and seizing.

I've learned that people can be so cruel at times, but it does not mean that they hate you, sometimes, cruelty is one way of showing kindness.

I've learned that opportunities and chances to grow and find the person that I want to be is not confided within the four walls of the classroom but it is out there, waiting to be discovered, waiting to be risked and conquered.

I've learned that no matter how tough life can be, no matter how unfair the world is, there is still that one person who can help you get out of all these things-
YOURSELF.


I’ll taste every moment
And live it out loud
I know this is the time,
This is the time to be
More than a name
Or a face in the crowd
I know this is the time
This is the time of my life
Time of my life
More than a name
Or a face in the crowd
This is the time
This is the time of my life.
This is the time of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment