Monday, September 7, 2009

When it rains, it pours... then I am on the moon.

I started commuting independently at the age of 13- I was a freshman in a "science high school" somewhere in the crowded streets of Cabanatuan City. Back then, it only takes 8 pesos for me to get home in a jeepney ride.

Commuting has been a part of my life for the past 7 years of my existence or should I also count my elementary days when twenty something pesky little kids with our bags that are usually bigger than us filled with inches thick of books are jam-packed into a jeepney back and fourth to our homes?

I have seen how the roads that I used to pass by every single day have worn-out until rocks start to show. I have seen many repairs and damage, repairs and damage, repairs and damage......repairs and damage over and over again.

Just recently, DPWH and MalacaƱang asphalted the road from San Jose City to Cabanatuan City. It was like the ones in SCTEX, mind you. And if only cars have feelings, I am pretty sure they are very happy and comfortable passing by in one of the major roads in the province.

Then rainy season came and heavy rains poured out.

On my way to Cabanatuan one time, I was thrilled by what I saw, a part of the newly asphalted road adjacent to a private hospital and a college is now gone and all I could see are mud and rocks, how could that happen? I don't know.

A moment later, looking at the poor roads, it was as if the jeepney landed on the moon in front of again, a hospital and a gasoline station. Just imagine the craters of the moon, and I think I don't need to say a word anymore.

We painstakingly passed by the "craters", and as much as the driver wanted to make his passengers feel comfortable, he just couldn't.

And the passengers, particularly the old ones are starting to shake their heads, and get angry at the driver, as if it was his fault.

All the while, I sat quietly, looking at the potholes and just thinking that it was a giant sungka board and the "bato" are the cars. Silly.

I was supposed to take photos of the road in case you don't believe me, but I was too afraid that my mobile phone would fall off the bumpy jeepney and go straight in one of the potholes when I try to take a photo.

It was like we are riding on a car pimped by MTV with hydraulics ,just like the one that Ling-Ling's mom owns in the film Hot Chick.

As of this writing, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Nueva Ecija is investigating about the issue calling the attention of the district engineers responsible for the asphalting of the roads. Good thing though, the roads are still covered by a one-year warranty period from the contractor.*

I just hope that there'll be no more potholes and craters come May 2010.


Read more about the issue HERE.
*Excerpted from the Nueva Ecija Journal.

3 comments:

  1. di nag-iisa ang lugar ninyo. halos 99% ng lahat ng kalsada sa Pilipinas ganyan ang estado. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang ganda pala ng aspalto na gamit kung ganun.. ndi sya baha proof. hehe.. wala nakiepal lang naman ako dito :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ayon sa isang reliable source, sa Nueva Ecija at Bulacan lamang po talaga hindi kagandahan ang mga daan.
    Sa ilang bahagi ng Tarlac, lalong lalo na sa Pampanga at Pangasinan, madaming magagandang daan na kahit bagyuhin pa eh hindi nalulusaw.
    Kaya nga po madami ang bilib sa sa mga probinsiyang ito, dahil kung matatandaan po, pinaka-apektado ang Tarlac at Pampanga ng Mt. Pinatubo eruption noong 1990's, pero mas maunlad pa sila ngayon sa Nueva Ecija. Hayyyy.

    ReplyDelete