Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Filipino Stereo-type

"Mama, hindi ako ga-graduate sa isang taon."

I told my Mom during our dinner.
Of course, like every parent, she asked why.
I simply told her I will not be able to enroll Off-Campus Student Teaching by the second semester because I have to enroll all the subjects required for me to go practice teaching.

"MADALI LANG NAMAN ANG EDUC AH!"

It's confusing hearing those words from people who think that Education is an easy course. Of course it was, but things are a lot different now.
While most third year students only have 20 units per sem, we have 28 units, full load, and if you're trying to make-up for your back subjects, I wish you Good luck.
It is not easy to be a teacher.

While many people label most Education students as "bobo" and while most old folks think that Education is for students and parents who cannot afford a Nursing course, I want to have a good debate with them because I firmly believe that the stigma that the society has posted upon Education students is not true anymore. Maybe it was before, change is inevitable, right? Besides, I know many Education students who can afford a Nursing course even in good schools, but still pursued what their hearts and minds really desired and tried not to join in the Philippines' national course phenomena by enrolling a Nursing course.

The CHED memorandum circular directs all Teacher-Education institutions to provide a curriculum for Elementary Education that will cover all the subjects in the elementary level, thus adding another year for the Education course, simply put, we will be majoring in ALL the subjects, and it's not easy like those found in elementary textbooks.

In a state university who can barely provide means and ways for its finances, the subjects are compacted to 28 units per sem and 9 units every summer.

Again, I am wishing the students who have back subjects good luck with the Calculus, Taxation, Economics, Physics, Astronomy and Chemistry.

Now, are those subjects taught in elementary?

Who can say that it is THAT EASY?


3 comments:

  1. Yep, taking up education isn't easy (though it's not my course), especially if you're in a state university. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know you will be future educator, and I wish you all the best.Twenty-eight units a semester is really quite an armful!

    Being a teacher is no simple task, and the preparation to be one is really intense. I am not an Educ graduate but now I really wish I can turn back time and take up Educ. I am now on my way to reaching that goal.

    Yay to teachers and future teachers of the world!

    ReplyDelete