Wednesday, October 22, 2008

High School Reunions Make me Cry :)

High School Hang-Over.
I don't really know if I am normal or nuts. Two years after our High School graduation, I am still excited to see my classmates during semestral breaks. At the end of September or early October, text messages about possible mini-reunions floods my message inbox. Inasmuch as I want to go to every gimmick like malling, watching the latest movies or simply hanging out in one of our classmates' home and watch DVDs and YouTube videos, school work still matters even though I might miss the latest buzz on our classmates, or the rare bonding moment with the funniest and wackiest individuals in our class.

Shortly after our thesis defense, I decided to go to our high school after receiving a message from one of my friends, saying that I should not miss this one. And so I thought, this might be my last shot of "reunion blues". It was 3pm when I arrived at our former high school, at first, the guard won't let us in but when we say we'll just visit the Overnight Camping of the Boy Scouts, he finally agreed to let us in. Our high school was a lot different two years ago. A lot. Walls are now painted with colorful paints, the old city library and council office of the BSP are now being reconstructed, benches and other facilities are now present but high school memories are still vivid. I saw my friends sitting in one of the benches near the stage. It was an unforgettable moment seeing our old classmates from different schools. And it's nice to know that these people are still the same people I met six "first day of school" ago. These people are still the wackiest, loudest, and "kahit-ano-basta-pagkain" people I have been with for the most memorable four years of my school life.


High School is the best part of one's life, and I couldn't agree more.


High School served as my reality-checker. It has opened my eyes to the realities of life and made me do something about it. It was indeed the best because this is where l met people of my age, experiencing the same puberty-driven life of mine, understanding every bit of my frustrations, riding in my super frequent mood swings but still loves me and accepts me as I AM- no more, no less. Back-stabbing and crab mentality is not the fad in high school, because everyone has his own individuality, everyone is treated equally and everyone has the chance to shine at its brightest.


Two years after leaving the portals of our small high school, I am still friends with my good old barkada. I am still with the same faces, though different attitudes and aspirations in life. I still join bonding moments over coffee, glasses of beer, slices of pizza, really loud laughters with the unbeatable camera freaks and the noisiest bunch of people I have met.


Two to five years from now, most of us will be registered nurses or are in the medical field, some will be IT experts, accountants,teachers or engineers, but in the coming reunions, there will always be a bit of that little high-schooler in all of us- I hope so.





1 comment:

  1. reunion: rekindling with memories. And memoriesn or matter how sweet or happy always make us cry...inside.

    mabuti naman at nabuhay nablog na ito.

    ReplyDelete